Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. In each weekly music class, we drum, sing, move, and play to rhythms inspired by musical traditions around the world, from West African Gahu, to Japanese Taiko, to Brazilian Samba, just to name a few.
Students learn to compose, choreograph, and conduct as they play—and play with!—a variety of musical instruments: West African djembe drums, percussion instruments, and, the most important instruments of all, their voices and their bodies. As your big kid learns to think and create like a musician, they’ll also build musical connections to the global community.
Rhythm Kids Level 1 (ages 4-5)
Rhythm Kids Level 1 is the next musical step for your preschool child (ages 4–5) with a parent or caregiver.
Your child will:
- Explore the world of rhythm through movement, instrument play, and song
- Develop basic rhythm skills, like keeping beat, improvising, ensemble play, and soloing
- Learn to create, cooperate, and express themselves musically
- Make up their own drumming patterns
- Invent new ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, sticks, etc.)
- Create movement ideas for songs
Rhythm Kids Level 2 (K-2nd Grade)
Rhythm Kids Level 2 is for children in kindergarten to second grade (ages 5 through 8). Parents and caregivers are always welcome, but attendance is NOT mandatory!
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming from cultures around the world
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
- Develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments
- Increase skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, and composition
- Participate in active musical games that are enriching and fun
As part of the Rhythm Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote. This cutting edge approach brings a great, constructive activity to your family’s day, and sets the stage for further musical learning in lessons, and musical literacy.
While your kids are having fun, they’ll be refining focus, dexterity, coordination, and rhythm – all things they’ll use every day for the rest of their lives.
- Weekly, 45-minute classes.
- Animal Collection Songbook and CD each semester, plus digital download options.
- Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs.
Each child participating in Rhythm Kids is required to bring a hand drum to class. We recommend using a sturdy djembe. A 7-8" x 16" djembe is recommended for Level 1 and a 9" x 18" djembe is recommended for Level 2, but get whatever size you think is best for your child. There are many options available for purchasing a drum. Rhythm Kids participants may purchase a djembe through Djembe Direct (www.djembedirect.com). Use the code RHYTHM-KIDS at checkout for a 5% discount plus free shipping!
Rhythm Kids Schedule