Rhythm Kids K-2 is for children in kindergarten through second grade (ages 5-8) to attend with or without a parent or another adult. We would also consider allowing a 5-year-old who has not yet started kindergarten to participate in Rhythm Kids as long as an adult attended with him or her.
Children integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming.
- Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements.
- Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
- Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm.
- Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation.
- Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. As part of the Rhythm Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote.
- Weekly, 45-minute classes.
- Animal Collection Songbook and CDs (2 copies) each semester.
- Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs.
Each child participating in Rhythm Kids is required to bring a hand drum to class. We recommend using a sturdy djembe. For this age group, that would typically be a 9” x 18” drum, but get whatever size you think is best for your child. Rhythm Kids participants may purchase a djembe through Djembe Direct (www.djembedirect.com). Use the code RHYTHM-KIDS at checkout for a 5% discount plus free shipping!
Rhythm Kids Schedule